John J-H Kim
“Since DMGroup's founding in 2004, we have partnered with school districts around the country to improve performance by addressing the most pressing leadership and management issues.”
John brings to DMGroup his extensive background in education, business, and management, having led several organizations in the education field previously. As Chief Executive Officer, John is responsible for all aspects of ensuring that DMGroup brings the best management and leadership practices to its network of public school district leaders and administrators from around the country. He works closely with superintendents to plan, analyze, and build system-wide efforts that lead to higher student achievement while improving operations and lowering costs.
In addition to his responsibilities at DMGroup, John is on the faculty of the Harvard Business School where he is part of the Social Enterprise Initiative. He is the co-chair and core faculty member of PELP (Public Education Leadership Project), a joint project between the Harvard Graduate School of Education and the Harvard Business School. John teaches the second year elective course Entrepreneurship in Education Reform.
Other Professional Experience
- Management Consultant at McKinsey & Company, Inc., a global strategic management consulting firm, where he helped clients implement new strategies and improve operating efficiencies.
- Founding CEO of Chancellor Beacon Academies, Inc., a school management company that grew to serve more than 20,000 children.
- President of Kaplan Learning Services, the institutional division of Kaplan, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Washington Post Company.
- A.B. magna cum laude from Harvard College
- Master Business Administration from Harvard Business School
- BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life), a non-profit organization that increases the educational and life achievement of elementary school children living in low-income communities.
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT) at Phillips Academy, Andover.